Fancy a limited edition 19t cog in your choice of color from Endless Bikes, custom lazer etched with the Single Speed World Championships Australia logo. Available for preorder. All parts will be shipping from the USA around November 15. Order cutoff will be November 5. If you are registered for Singlespeed Worlds, you will receive an e-mail with a coupon code for free shipping.
Kids from Kyneton Secondary College and 1st Macedon Scout Group recently took part in workshops to build their own zany bikes.
Matt Benn from Urban Donkey gave “I heart my bike” workshops to instruct kids in the creation of improbable bikes. Matt is a long time builder of a variety of quirky bikes including penny farthings, clown bikes, extra tall ‘skyscraper’ bikes and bikes covered in a variety of fabrics.
Look out for the results of these workshops during the SSWC Carni-velo at Hanging Rock on Saturday 22 October. The Scouts are also providing food for the race on Sunday, so make sure you say G’day.
- ‘Full Gas’ which includes race entry, official pint glass and hops-based sports drink to fill said glass throughout the day, as well as the group ride out from Woodend via Mt Macedon, bands and entertainment through the day, and then bus back into town at around 9pm for more festivities.
- ‘Responsible Racer’ which covers race entry and the entertainment, but no glass, beer or post-race transport, (though you will be able to buy some beer on the day).
Enter at https://entryboss.cc/races/245
Word is getting out, the circus is coming to town.
Check out the Herald Sun article.
Entries close midnight Thursday 1 September (Woodend time). Be quick or miss out.
A half arsed guide for tight arses.
- The cheapest single way to get on an SS for SSWC16 would be to borrow a complete bike off your lazy mate that isn’t going. Everyone I know has a singlespeed or 2 kicking around in the shed. You’re mad if you don’t already. (PM B Rad the details of your mate that owns the SS and isn’t going to SSWC16, he’s a chump)
- A quick conversion. Rip off the useless and unnecessary parts. Shifters, shift cables, big and little rings, front mech if you haven’t already chucked it. Put them in the bin. Now with only your middle ring* on the front, get down to your LBS and get a rear ss cog and spacer kit. They should have an 18 tooth kicking around or can get one in for you. Make your chain as short as possible using your rear mech as a tensioner, screw in your limit screws to line up your new cog and viola. *this method works best if you have a singlespeed specific front ring (i.e. no shifting ramps) or one of the narrow wide types.
- Using method 2, and using a hardtail, you might be able to get the magic gear. If so, chuck your rear mech in the bin too
- Ghost cog might work if there’s enough room behind your chainstay. Method 3 and a well placed spare cog of the right size can work a treat
- Buy some pink knicks and ride your geared bike whilst wearing them. We can zip tie the levers to prevent any gear changing mishaps
- Just come and drink beer!
Thanks to B Rad for the words.
Who’s going to put their hands up to host SSWC 2017? Based on entries so far the front runners are New Zealand, Japan and maybe the US.
If you want to bid for the right to host SSWC 2017 you’ll have to be in Woodend to fight off the competition. Don’t leave it too late though, seats in the Holgate Brewhouse SSWC 2016 big top are filling up fast.
As an added incentive, we’ve extended the deadline for international entrants to go into the draw to win the awesomely awesome Hettly Bikes titanium frame to 21 July.
Home of the closest beds to the Wombat State Forest trail head, Cammeray Waters Resort is on board for SSWC 2016 with special accommodation rates for single speeders. Roll out the front gate, across the road and single trail awaits! Even better, Cammeray Waters is the venue for the race day festivities on Sunday. The resort is located about 12km from Woodend and has self-contained cottages and double, triple or family rooms to choose from. Details on the accommodation page.
Hurry up, hurry up. What are you waiting for? The big top is filling up fast and you don’t want to miss out on your seat.
You’ve only got 11 days to get your entry in if you want to go in the draw for the awesomely awesome custom titanium frame from Hettly Bikes.
Register HERE before 1 July or you might find yourself out the back of the tent with the clowns.